Saturday, February 23, 2008

Providing our cats & dogs with top nutrition

Pet Promise is the food I recommend. It's what I feed my kitty, and he is one healthy boy, knock wood! Though he likes it a bit too much (to him, food is love)so he gets Healthy Weight & Aging kibble as his main diet, and a bit of the wet food as a morning & evening treat. There are other excellent pet foods on the market, but you do have to do your research.

Why do I like it? Well, let's begin with what it doesn't have: NO animal byproducts, NO rendered meat or chicken meals, NO factory farmed meat, NO antibiotic-fed "protein sources" (interesting euphemism for sentient beings), NO added growth hormones, and NO artificial colors, flavors or preservatives. It may be the only pet food endorsed by a holistic physician, (Andrew Weil.)

"Out of respect for our pets, all animals, and the earth, we source our meat only from U.S. family farmers committed to eco-friendly, natural and sustainable practices and the humane treatment of animals."

So for those of you who haven't heard about the appalling ingredients in most pet food (including Hills Science Diet, pushed by Veterinarians), do an Internet search. You will be pretty shocked, I'm sure, as I was.

Carried by Whole Foods, New Seasons & Fred Meyer. For those of us who shop "natural" foods (vs. unnatural?), we know we pay more. Currently, a 6 lb. bag of dry kibble for cats is $13.99 at Freddie's.

No, I don't receive remuneration for my recommendations (more to come) - but hey - maybe I should look into it!

www.petpromiseinc.com.
Dr. Weil: www.weilfoundation.org.

No comments: